You have a few different options for screencasting depending on the type of computer you are using. Below is a quick overview of your options:
- Quicktime (Mac only)
- Sign into your Melrose Google account.
- Visit Movenote’s website.
- In the upper right hand corner of their website, select the “sign in with Google” option.
- You may need to allow Movenote to use your camera and microphone. Select the “Allow” option on the popup window and in your browser if necessary.
- Movenote connects your computer or Chromebook’s camera and microphone with your Google Slides or Powerpoint. Select the “Upload Slides” button and choose your project. Movenote will then take a few seconds to upload the slides.
Instructions for use:
- Once the camera/microphone is allowed and your slides are uploaded, select the red record button on the right. You will get a quick countdown and it will start recording.
- Select the same red pause button to pause. If you want to end, after pressing the red button, then select the “Done” button.
- You can start over by pausing and selecting the “Start Over” button.
- After ending your recording, Movenote will process and create your screencast. Select “Later” if asked to review.
- Once the video is finished, you can watch it using the play button at the bottom of the page.
Screencastify is a Chrome extension that you add to your browser. It works on your home computer or on Chromebooks.
To start, make sure you sign into your Melrose Google account and you are using the Chrome browser.
- Visit the Screencastify website.
- Click “Install Now” and select “Add extension”.
- Once the extension is installed, a small black icon will appear in the top right corner of your browser.
Instructions for Use
- Select the black icon in the top right. A new tab will open and you will be prompted to allow microphone and camera access. After you allow that, select Google Drive as your storage location and grant permission.
- If you have done everything correctly, you will be presented with a tutorial video.
- To use, select the Screencastify icon and choose what you would like to record. I recommend selecting “Tab” to only select the currently open browser tab. This will let you switch to notes in another tab and it will keep recording the other tab.
- When finished, click the Screencastify icon again and end the recording. You can then watch the video and upload to Google Drive.
- After you are satisfied with your video, save it to Google Drive and share with your teacher(s)!
Screencast-o-Matic is a website that enables you to record all activities on your computer screen as well as your voice. It will record all activities on your screen, including mouse movements and changing windows or tabs.
1. Visit Screencast-o-Matic. In a separate tab, open your presentation.
2. Select “Start recording” and “Record screencast”. You may need to enable Java if you are prompted.
3. A control panel and recording window will pop up. Make sure your microphone is working – you will see green bars if it works. If you are using a laptop or Chromebook, the microphone is automatically on and working. Click “record” to start.
4. Select the red record button to pause. To finish, select this button, then click “Done”.
5. Save the finished screencast as a video file. Upload to your Drive and share with your teacher(s)!
4. QUICKTIME (MAC ONLY)
If you have a Mac, you can screencast using Quicktime.
1. Open Quicktime in your Finder or Launcher. Under the “New” option in the menu bar, select “New screen recording”
2. A control panel will pop up with a record button. Click when you are ready to go. Quicktime records your entire screen, so you may want to hide your dock or make your browser full screen.
3. When you are finished, click the “Stop” button, which will be in the system bar at the top of the screen.
4. Save the video, upload to Drive, and share!